REGISTRATION CLOSES September 1, 2019
(Early Bird August 1, 2019)
3 spaces remain!

Writing Your Spiritual Journey, Wildacres Retreat Center September 26 - September 29, 2019

If you are curious about your spiritual path, join us to explore the holiness of the ordinary in our lives. Perhaps you seek continuity between your inner world and the outer world, between your past self and who you are now, or between what you claim to believe and how you live. Perhaps you sense a power beyond you that gives greater meaning to your life. Perhaps your life is shifting in focus and intention. It is with curiosity and an eye to the sacred that we write and share our stories from Thursday night through Sunday morning at beautiful and welcoming Wildacres Retreat Center in Little Switzerland, NC [www.wildacres.org].
Contact Kathleen at krmt1923@gmail.com for more information.
Register now and bring a friend!
Registration information is at bottom of the page.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

White World Revisited

September 3, 2012

On  Day Three of thick mountain fog and rain, Cheyenne and I can see only about thirty feet down the driveway. For three days the mountains and valleys, the sun and clouds, the apple trees and the granite rocks down the slope remain blanketed in white. Raindrops splat loudly on the skylight, so I turn up the volume on my computer as I listen to the CD version of The Healing by Jonathan Odell. I read the novel a few weeks back and loved it, even wrote to the author to compliment him on his creation. A friend recommended the audio book version, so I listen to GranGran's stories here in my cozy mountain home surrounded by blank white walls of fog. The novel is even better the second time around!

What strikes me today is how happy I am to be here secluded and alone. You may have read an archive post when I was stuck in the fog and how hard it was for me. This time everything is different. A candle burns on the island as I pray for a friend who tragically lost her adult daughter this weekend. A small plastic car garage, two green and blue balls, The Runaway Bunny and new artwork on the refrigerator remind me of the twins' visit overnight while their parents camped. I hear their laughter and see them run through the room on a mission of making a baby bed or looking at the mountains through a magnifying glass.

The dinner table is covered in weavings, the coffee table hosts fingerless gloves and yarn for premie hats. Beside my favorite chairs, two prayer shawls wait in their respective bags for me to add inches.
Three large baskets of yarn can't contain the skeins and skeins I have available for weavings. Greens and purples spill onto the carpet. I leave them because I am alone. I finished a large piece for a friend yesterday, so today I will begin a new weaving that is already calling to me and continue my work on a larger hanging for over our fireplace.

I am grateful for this time of solitude and creating. I feel like the luckiest person alive to be right where I want to be doing exactly what I want to do all day long.  At night I watch the DNC with all the energy and anticipation packed into Charlotte and am grateful to be here, able to watch from afar yet thankful for the work of so many people who are dedicated to improving our country.

It seems the fog has become my friend, a companion in creativity, a condition that allows me focus and enjoy stillness as I weave and knit my love and prayers into colorful cloth of one kind or another.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kathleen for the mention. That is very lovely.

Kathleen said...

It was such fun to listen to the CD. The reader did a wonderful job with the voices and captured each character just the way I had imagined him or her. I felt so connected to the GranGran/Violet part of the novel the second time around. The first time I was more into the Granada story. Once again I thank you for writing this novel. It is a treasure and I can't wait for your next book!