REGISTRATION CLOSES September 1, 2019
(Early Bird August 1, 2019)
3 spaces remain!

Writing Your Spiritual Journey, Wildacres Retreat Center September 26 - September 29, 2019

If you are curious about your spiritual path, join us to explore the holiness of the ordinary in our lives. Perhaps you seek continuity between your inner world and the outer world, between your past self and who you are now, or between what you claim to believe and how you live. Perhaps you sense a power beyond you that gives greater meaning to your life. Perhaps your life is shifting in focus and intention. It is with curiosity and an eye to the sacred that we write and share our stories from Thursday night through Sunday morning at beautiful and welcoming Wildacres Retreat Center in Little Switzerland, NC [www.wildacres.org].
Contact Kathleen at krmt1923@gmail.com for more information.
Register now and bring a friend!
Registration information is at bottom of the page.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mother's Milk

I notice the tall thin rabbit most mornings. She has hopped around our gardens and yard for several years.  This morning I see her and then notice a small bounding creature coming toward the house. I think it hops strangely for a chipmunk, and then it turns to show me its bunny profile. It is tiny, smaller than my fist. Mother watches from a disinterested distance and the little one plops into the ivy.

At dusk I see Mother again as we clear the dinner table. I say, "I wish you could see the tiny bunny" at the same time that I see it in the grass! We ooh and ahh until it hops away. Mother nibbles grass on the path to the patio. I brush my teeth and am drawn to the window to the garden where I scan for any movement. Suddenly a bunny hops out from the opposite side of the path. I am confused because I saw the bunny go left and this is on the right. It hops under Mother who waits patiently, still.  So quickly that I almost miss it, the first bunny darts out and under her mother.  I call to my husband to come, "There are TWO bunnies!"  We watch from the dining room only seeing the mother but knowing the two are there under her. It hits us at the same moment. They are nursing! And then we see the smaller of the two, flipped on her back, white belly and underside of leg to the sky. The leg pumps and wiggles as she gets gets her evening meal, just like Thumper in Bambi. The whole scene is so peaceful and unreal. I know this happens all the time but right this moment it is in my view, in the cathedral of our trees and my heart soars with joy and gratitude.

No comments: