REGISTRATION CLOSES September 1, 2019
(Early Bird August 1, 2019)
3 spaces remain!

Writing Your Spiritual Journey, Wildacres Retreat Center September 26 - September 29, 2019

If you are curious about your spiritual path, join us to explore the holiness of the ordinary in our lives. Perhaps you seek continuity between your inner world and the outer world, between your past self and who you are now, or between what you claim to believe and how you live. Perhaps you sense a power beyond you that gives greater meaning to your life. Perhaps your life is shifting in focus and intention. It is with curiosity and an eye to the sacred that we write and share our stories from Thursday night through Sunday morning at beautiful and welcoming Wildacres Retreat Center in Little Switzerland, NC [www.wildacres.org].
Contact Kathleen at krmt1923@gmail.com for more information.
Register now and bring a friend!
Registration information is at bottom of the page.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Namaste

On Sunday the sermon reminded us to create "sanctuary" for each other and for those who join us at church. The minister wondered if we could be more hospitable, if we could find it in ourselves to focus on welcoming others, even those that we unconsciously turn from. When she mentioned the word namaste as a way to approach our relationships with others, I thought of an experience this week I had with a woman I met briefly. I probably will not see her again, but we had an instant connection of loving kindness and compassion. Namaste is loosely translated by the yoga set to mean, "The Divine in me sees or honors the Divine in you" or "The light in me is drawn to the light in you."

When I met the elderly woman she was sitting on her porch reading a religious book about talking with Jesus. I knew she was going through a difficult transition, so I kept myself peaceful and opened my heart to her. Over the course of the hour or so we spent together, we spoke just a little. Mostly we smiled with our eyes and acknowledged each other with our hearts. It was as though we shared a special language. Her life is drawing to a close. She saw me standing in the life stage she had loved so much. We did not need words to communicate. We did not need to talk about facts and details. We just needed to smile and let our eyes say, "Namaste" for our hearts.

No comments: